Thursday, February 26, 2009

Felix to my Oscar

I’m not so sure I would make a great Oscar board member.

Sure the invites to exclusive parties ‘hosted’ by the stars of nominated films might be fun, as would their car wash and pet-minding service (I don’t drive but you can come on over and clean me any time Brangelina), but as I seem to be the only person in the world who doesn't like Slumdog Millionaire - to the point of walking out after the first forty minutes - I probably would have been asked to return the bottle of Benicio del Toro sweat I use for letters and all other things sticky.

It wasn’t so much the torturing of kids or the glossing over of major issues, but more the fact that I just didn’t care about what was happening in the film. I wanted to care. I mean, what wasn’t there to care about; young and innocent children suffering because their only crime was to be born into poverty, but somehow this film managed to make me disconnect with everything I cherish in life, and for that I suppose it is worthy of an Oscar.

And really, when was the last time they gave an undeserving Oscar to anyone?

Ms I’m-no-expert-but M.