Friday, September 5, 2008

To Tim or not to Tam

Is it just me or are people making less and less positive eye contact? I might no longer be the bright-eyed size six clear-skinned catch that I once was (or possibly never was according to Mother dearest), but I still have snappable cheeks (unlike Mother dearest), a nose in the right place, and eyebrows that don’t co-mingle. But unfortunately my faces' adherence to something resembling phi didn’t seem to make a damn of difference walking down the street, dodging canine forget-me-nots in the park, or in isle seven of Coles. Last night as I was topping up my emergency supplies of Tim Tams, I was naive enough to pick up a box of instant something that had escaped the clutches of its dribbling occupant, and on returning the package to the mother, she shot me a brand of squint-eyed distrust before pushing down the aisle sans box and maiming two unfortunate shelf stackers.

She had the kid and probably a matching husband, as well as a 4WD complete with baby on board sticker and designer mud that came in a spraycan, but if that’s what my reaction had to be when a stranger offered help then I didn’t want to be like her. Sure what Seniõr Tim Tam and I had wasn’t all that much (and possibly illegal in Texas), but it was still the kind of something that made me happy each night as my head hit the pillow.

Ms soon-to-be-on-a-fabulous-chocolate-high M.